Many people may fear a root canal, but it is actually a therapeutic procedure. Root canal treatment is a common dental procedure that is used to treat an infection in the tooth pulp. The pulp is the soft tissue inside the tooth that contains blood vessels and nerves. An infection in the pulp can cause pain, swelling, and inflammation.
Root canal treatment involves removing the infected pulp from the tooth and cleaning and sealing the root canal. This procedure can often save a tooth that would otherwise need to be removed. At Bruggeman Dental in Thornton, Colorado, we are the root canal experts.
Signs that you may need a root canal include:
– Severe toothache pain that is not relieved by over-the-counter pain medication
– Sensitivity to hot or cold temperatures that lingers after the stimulus has been removed
– Swelling or tenderness in the gums near the infected tooth
The procedure for a root canal usually involves some basic steps:
– Good treatment is about good preparation. We take the important steps necessary to ensure comfort and safety. Before the root canal treatment, we’ll carefully place a rubber dam around the infected tooth to keep it dry and clean during treatment.
– Ensuring your comfort is our top priority. There is no reason why a root canal operation should be painful. Once your treatment is complete, you’ll never again feel pain in the treated tooth. Before starting, we will use a local anesthetic to numb the area and minimize pain and discomfort during treatment
– We’ll remove the pulp from the interior of the tooth using exacting procedures, ensuring we leave the area clean and free from any infected tissues. We use specialized dental instruments to reach and clean the treatment area selectively.
– We will safely clean the root canal. This will disinfect the area and fortify it with durable material.
– We will seal the tooth with a matching tooth-colored resin once we are complete.
Aftercare for a root canal usually involves:
– Taking over-the-counter pain medication to relieve any discomfort after treatment
– avoiding chewing on hard foods or using your teeth to open packages for the first few days after treatment
– avoiding vigorous activities or contact sports for 24 to 48 hours after treatment
Please let us know if you experience excessive pain or discomfort after treatment. We are there for you from start to finish.
The cost of a root canal
The cost of a root canal can vary depending on the severity of the infection and the tooth’s location. In general, root canal treatment is covered by most dental insurance plans.
When choosing a dentist for your root canal treatment, it is important to find someone who is experienced and someone with whom you feel comfortable. Dr. Bruggeman should be able to answer any questions you have about the procedure and help you to understand what to expect. Some factors to consider when looking for the right dentist include:
– The type of experience and training they have in treating root canal infections
– Whether they are affiliated with a reputable dental practice or hospital
– Whether you feel comfortable discussing your treatment options with them and whether you trust their judgment
Ultimately, the most important thing is to find a dentist who you feel comfortable with and who can provide the high-quality care that you need.
The Best Root Canal Treatment in Thornton, Colorado
When it comes to root canal treatment, you want to choose a dentist who is experienced. Dr. Bruggeman has many years of experience in dentistry. We will gently, expertly bring you back to dental health while optimizing comfort. Call us today to schedule an appointment. We look forward to hearing from you.